Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snow Day Salad


Yesterday we got about 5 inches of unexpected snow, so I am staying in for the weekend.  I rummaged around the kitchen today and put together a tasty salad for brunch.

Here's what went in the bowl:

A bag of shredded lettuce
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
1/2 of a small yellow onion, diced
4 oz cup of mandarin oranges, drained (reserve juice for dressing)
1/2 chicken breast, chopped
handful dry roasted almonds, crushed with my coffee cup
1 package ramen noodles, crumbled and toasted in a cast iron skillet coated with olive oil

Dressing - whisk together:
2 T juice from mandarin oranges
drizzle of olive oil
drizzle of balsomic vinegar
about half of the contents of  the ramen noodle seasoning packet
fresh ground pepper

The chicken came from the frozen leftovers of the chicken I roasted a couple of weeks ago.  Let me just say I love that vacuum sealer that I bought myself for Christmas - the chicken tasted every bit as juicy and flavorful as it did the night I made it.


No comments:

Post a Comment