Saturday, January 2, 2010

Big country breakfast

Eggs, sausage, country ham (leftovers from dinner at Dotson's in Franklin, TN), eggs over easy, biscuits, gravy and sorghum molasses.  I have covered my calorie, fat and sodium requirements for the next three days.

Biscuits:  2 cups sifted self rising flour, 1/4 cup shortening, 2/3 cup buttermilk.  Cut shortening into the flour, add buttermilk and stir just until mixed.   Dump mixture out onto a floured surface - I like to use parchment paper.  Knead the dough a bit and work more flour in. This is more an art than science - you want it not too sticky, but if you work in too much the biscuits will be hard and heavy.


I am experimenting today with new cutters I got a while back - a set of round cutters, a set of fluted round cutters, and a set of fluted square cutters.  I am comparing them to my old tried and true - the same thing my mother used.  I always thought that it was a biscuit cutter that she also used as a canning funnel.  Turned out it was actually the other way around.  Test results - stick with tried and true.



Put the biscuits on a greased pan or a well-seasoned baking stone (my choice).  Top biscuits with a schmear of milk or melted butter and bake in 500 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.

While baking, I finished up cooking the sausage, re-heating the ham, made gravy and eggs over easy.


I really should go out and do lots of manual labor today to work this off - right after I take a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment