Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Reuben Soup!

A week or so ago, I visited our new Earthfare store.   I happened by their display of store-made soups, and picked up a container of Reuben Soup.  I had never heard of such a thing, but since I love a good reuben sammie, I figured I might like it.  And I did!  So, I started googling for a recipe.

None of the recipes I found sounded much like what I had eaten, so I just forgot about trying to make some.  Then one evening this week, I pulled out the recipe book for my Vitamix mixer, and lo and behold, there was a recipe for Reuben Soup that sounded like it would taste good.

When I first saw a guy at Sam's Club demo-ing a Vitamix, I was amazed that you could actually make hot soup right in the mixer.  It processes at such a high speed that it really heats up the food if it runs at a high speed for about 5 minutes - hot enough that steam boils out of the top!  I've had the mixer for nearly a year, but this is the first time that I attempted soup - but I tell you, it certainly won't be the last.

Here's how you do it (my adaptation of the recipe):

Soup base - Put the following in the blender container in this order:
2 small to medium cooked potatoes, chopped with skin
2 cups skim milk
1/2 t celery salt
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t salt
ground pepper to taste

Turn the vitamix on at level 1 variable speed, and immediately increase to level 10, then to high.  Run 5 minutes, or until steam is rising out of the container.

While the blender is running, gather the following:

4 oz Swiss cheese, cut into chunks
1 T Thousand Island dressing
1 T sweet relish
1/2 cup sauerkraut
1/2 t caraway seeds
4 oz corned beef

Lower the speed back to variable 5, and drop in the swiss cheese.  Run for about 30 seconds.  Add the remaining ingredients, and run for about 10 more seconds until the meat is chopped.

This soup was so creamy and flavorful!  I'm already looking forward to the forecasted wintery mess this weekend when this soup will be just the ticket!!

No comments:

Post a Comment